By qualifying for the Roland-Garros final on Thursday, Iga Swiatek signed her thirty-fourth consecutive victory on the WTA circuit, a series that began in Doha on February 22 with a success against the Swiss Viktorija Golubic (6-2, 3- 6, 6-2). If the Pole were to win in Paris on Saturday, she would equal the longest series of victories of the century achieved by Venus Williams in 2000, between Wimbledon and the Linz tournament.
However, the current world number 1 still has a very long way to go before catching up with the record holder of winning streaks since the creation of the WTA in 1973, Martina Navratilova, author of a series of 74 successes in a row between 1983 and 1984. Iga Swiatek still does not appear in the historical top 10, referenced by the WTA.
The 10 longest winning streaks on the WTA Tour since 1973 :
1. Martina Navratilova (USA): 74 wins from January to December 1984, beaten by Helena Sukova (CZE) (1-6, 6-3, 7-5) in the 1/2 final of the Australian Open
2. Steffi Graf (GER): 66 wins from June 1989 to May 1990, beaten by Monica Seles (YOU) (6-4, 6-3) in the final of the Berlin tournament
3. Navratilova: 58 wins from June 1986 to January 1987, beaten by Hana Mandlikova (CZE) (7-5, 7-6) in the Australian Open final
4. Margaret Court (AUS): 57 victories from October 1972 to February 1973, beaten by Billie Jean King (USA) (6-7, 7-6, 6-3) in the 1/2 final of the Indianapolis tournament
5. Chris Evert (USA): 55 wins from April to September 1974, beaten by Evonne Goolagong (AUS) (6-0, 6-7, 6-3) in the semi-final of the US Open
6. Navratilova: 54 wins from June 1983 to January 1984, beaten by Mandlikova (7-6, 3-6, 6-4) in the final of the Oakland tournament
7. Graf: 46 wins from May to November 1988, beaten by Pam Shriver (USA) (6-3, 7-6) in the semi-final of the Masters
8. Graf: 45 wins from February to July 1987, beaten by Martina Navratilova (7-5, 6-3) in the Wimbledon final
9. Evert: 41 wins from August 1975 to January 1976, beaten by Navratilova (6-3, 6-4) in the final of the Houston tournament
10. Navratilova: 41 wins from April to September 1982 beaten by Shriver (1-6, 7-6, 6-2) in the quarter-finals of the US Open
SEE ALSO – The preparation of the Blues for the League of Nations