You have been maturing the idea for a long time, you want to improve your job opportunities abroad and you are struck by working in Spain, either because they speak the same language as you, or because it is a country you are in love with or because your profession is more in demand in this region. We have prepared a short guide in five steps for you to organize everything.

1. The residence and work permit and the TIE

To work in Spain, as in so many other countries, a visa is required. If your intention is to stay for a time greater than 90 days (They do not have to be consecutive), you must process it. Depending on your country and the agreements it has established with Spain, you may have to apply for a short-term visa (Schengen visa) first.

There are several types of visa or permit (study, work, residence and transit) and each one requires meeting a series of conditions. For anyone you request, your passport must be in order at the time of application.

If you want to work in Spain they will ask you for the residence and work permit. You must process it through the Consulate General of Spain in your country. If they grant it to you, it will be with respect to a specific geographic area and a specific occupation. It will be good for a year, but when it expires it can be extended.

When you have a residence and work visa, you must apply for the Foreigner Identity Card (TIE) at the Foreigners Office or, failing that, at the police station of the province where you have your address.

A note: if you come to work in Spain with the support of a hiring in origin, that is, you were selected from your country, keep in mind that the regulations have recently changed. For 2020, stable contracts have not been approved, but temporary contracts or for works and services have been approved. On the other hand, this same regulation establishes for the year 2020 a number of 5,000 visas for children or grandchildren of Spanish origin for job search.

2. The NIE and the Social Security number

The foreign identity number (NIE) is the number that will identify you as a resident alien. You can request it at the General Directorate of the Police, if you are already in Spain in a regular situation, or through the consular office of Spain in your country.

Another document that you should know is the Social Security affiliation number. It is required to be registered with Social Security to carry out a work contract. You can carry out this procedure in an office of the Social Security Treasury, but it is convenient that you inform yourself about conditions and requirements on the website of the Ministry of Labor, Migration and Social Security.

3. Health in Spain

In Spain the National Health System (SNS) provides public coverage to Social Security affiliates. Health in Spain is a competence that is managed through the autonomous communities, there is no single body in which all management is centralized. For this reason, when you are in Spain it is recommended that you go to the nearest health center. They will inform you about how to process the Individual Health Card.

If your country belongs to the European Union or has a bilateral agreement with Spain, as in the case of Morocco, Tunisia, Peru, Brazil or Chile, to receive health care it is enough that you present the European Health Insurance Card or the certificate of right to healthcare that corresponds to you based on your particular situation.

4. Practical issues

One of the first steps you should do as soon as you arrive in Spain is to register, that is, enroll in the Register, which accredits you as a neighbor of the municipality where you reside. For this you need establish an address. It does not have to be your property, it can be rented or the house of your relatives, if that is where you are going to stay to live. This procedure is carried out in the town hall that corresponds to you.

At the time of Rent a floor, it is very possible that you request an endorsement that shows that you can cope with the Rent payment. The usual thing is that they ask you last payroll of your job. It is also frequent that they ask you one month in advance as a deposit. When you change your address, the deposit will be returned if the site is in the conditions agreed upon when the contract was signed. Another possibility is rent a room in an apartment shared. In this case, the requirements are reduced.

Open a bank account It is another of the first tasks that you must carry out as soon as you arrive. If you are resentful, they will ask for your NIE and, if you are not, you will have to present a certificate of non-residence, which is requested at a National Police station.

5. Information to work in Spain

Finally, these are some links that can be very useful:

Information of interest to foreigners from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

Leave a Reply